We are going to walk through a simple and typical setup of FreePBX. It would be impossible to teach you through a single wiki how to configure the over 1000 features of FreePBX, but following should allow a brand-new user to create a basic system setup. This setup assumes you have purchased the (System Building Basic) commercial module bundle to make setting up phones and your PBX much easier. It also assumes you are using SIP trunks. In our example we will use SIPStation for our trunking. The SIPStation module built into FreePBX Administration makes setting up FreePBX a breeze, as it does most of the work for us.
Configuration of the PBX is done using the various FreePBX Modules. The modules are divided into several categories at the top of the GUI. Once you're at a specific module's page, you can hover your mouse over the question mark iconnear each entry to view more information on what the item does.
For detailed instructions on each module, start here: FreePBX Modules Home.
- Begin by logging into your PBX. We will be working with the FreePBX Administration GUI.
- Next, take care of a few basic housekeeping items shown in the following instructions: Setting the time zone, setting hard drive failure / fill-up notifications, and configuring intrusion detection settings.
Setting the Time Zone
- Go to Admin -> System Admin -> Time Zone
Use the drop-down menus to select the appropriate time zone and then click “Submit.”
Click “OK” in the pop-up window that appears, and then wait for the page to reload. Once it has reloaded, your settings have been applied.
Hard Drive Failure / Fill-Up Notification
- Go to Admin -> System Admin -> Storage
Enter an e-mail address where you would like to receive hard drive failure / fill-up notifications, and click “Submit.”
Intrusion Detection Settings
- Go to Admin -> System Admin -> Intrusion Detection
- We recommend that you keep this service running, in order to detect, block, and notify you of attempts to compromise your system. You may check the status here and adjust your ban time, max retry, and find time if needed.
- Enter an e-mail address where you would like to receive intrusion detection notifications.
- Optionally, enter any IPs that you would like to whitelist.
Click “Submit” and then click “OK” in the pop-up window that appears. Wait until the page reloads. Your settings will be applied when the page reloads.
- Go to Applications -> Extensions
- Select your device from the drop-down menu and click “Submit.” You will be taken to a page where you can enter more information about the extension.
- Enter the extension number that will be used to reach this user, and the display name.
Items for this wiki:
Configure Phones (Using EPM)
Create Inbound Routes
Create Outbound Routes
Setup Ring Groups
Setup Company Directory
Setup Time Groups and Conditions
Setup Users in (User Management)
Setting up Backups
There are many other modules, and most are self-explanatory. You can find out more about each of them here: FreePBX Modules Home.