This information on this page applies only to PBX versions 14.x and lower. For version 15+, please see: Warm Spare Backup Server 15+
|Table of Contents|
You will need 2 PBX servers of the same model with identical hardware including analog and digital cards.
Each server must have its own set of licenses for any commercial modules used.
This article assumes the following:
You have an existing a PBX system that will be your primary server.
- You have an identical PBX system equally licensed that will act as the warm sparebe your secondary server.
- Both servers have identical Analog/PRI/BRI hardware (if used).
- The two servers can communicate on an IP level with each other on port 22.
Make sure you replace the PrimaryServerIP with the IP Address of your primary PBX. (use IP and not a hostname that may be common to both primary and warmspare)
If this command completes without error, you are ready to test:
- Server Name - A name for this server. In our example we could call it “Primary PBX."
- Description - A description or notes to help you identify this server.
- Hostname - The IP address or FQDN of the primary server.
- Port - By default we use port 22 for SSH.
- Username - The SSH username. In our example we would enter "root" because it is the username we set up for our share keys.
- Key - This is the location of the private SSH key that we created earlier. In our example it is /home/asterisk/.ssh/id_rsa
- Path - Path on the remote server where files are stored. (Recommended setting → Leave this empty)
Click the Save button. Note: there is no apply config button.
- Backup Name - The Name should be something representative of the task. We will call it "Nightly Warm Backup"
- Description - A description or notes to help you identify this backup.
- Status Email - An e-mail address to send status messages to when this backup is run.
Items - Drag the desired template(s) from "Templates" to "Items." For this task we will drag "Full Backup" and "Exclude Backup Settings" to the backup items on the left.
Failing to include the "Exclude Backup Settings" in the warm spare backup job will cause the backup jobs on the primary system to overwrite all backup jobs on the spare. You need this item included in all warm spare type backups.
- Backup Server - Select your primary PBX in the drop-down.
- A Restore Here option will appear. Select Yes. This will cause 3 additional settings to appear.
- Disable Registered Trunks - Select Yes if SIP trunks are registered with your carrier, or if the two systems will compete for the trunk registration. Otherwise you can leave set to No.
- Exclude NAT settings - Select Yes if you want to exclude any machine-specific IP settings. This allows you to have a warm-spare machine with a different IP address.
- Apply Configs - Select Yes. This is equivalent to clicking the red apply config button, will happen automatically after a restore on a standby system
- Storage Servers and Available Servers - If you want to also store a copy of the backup file on this server, drag the Local Storage item from the Available Servers bin on the right to the Storage Servers bin on the left.
- Run Automatically - Set this to Daily. This will cause the script to run each day at midnight.