Each business phone system (aka PBX), installed on premise or in the cloud, needs to be configured with a number of extensions (for the employees) and a number of outside lines (to make or receive calls from outside of your business phone system). See diagram below.
When an extension needs to place a call to the outside world, the PBX seizes one of the available outside lines. For most businesses, the ratio of Extensions to Outside Lines is about 3:1. This can vary depending on usage (for instance in call centers).
For the Cloud PBXact service, we accomplish the task of configuring your hosted system with Full Extensions and Lite Extensions definitions.
- Business phone system are often referred to as PBX (Private Branch Exchange)
- Extensions are often referred to as seats
- Outside lines are often referred to as external call paths, trunk lines or trunk channels
Full and Lite Extensions Definitions
For the Cloud PBXact service, we use the terms Full and Lite Extension. Each Full Extension provides both an Extension and an Outside Line for your system. Each Lite Extension provides an Extension for your system. The diagram below shows a system with 2 Full Extensions and 3 Lite Extensions for a total of 5 seats and 2 Trunk Channels.
When a user on a Full or a Lite Extension needs to place a call to the outside, the Cloud PBXact PBX will select an available outside line. There is no difference of end user features between a Full or Lite Extension, they all have access to the same functionality. A Lite Extension can make calls to outside line - it is not limited to make internal calls.
Most businesses operate on a 3:1 ratio of Extensions to Outside Lines. For more complex cases - such as call centers, please contact us.
Case 1: 20 users office
- Number of Extensions: 20
- Number of Outside lines: 20 / 3 = 7 (rounded up)
- Number of Full Extensions: 7 (same as number of Outside lines)
- Number of Lite Extensions: 20 - 7 = 13
So in this case you would order 7 Full Extensions and 13 Lite Extension for your Cloud PBXact system
Case 2: 10 users office
- Number of Extensions: 10
- Number of Outside lines: 10 / 3 = 4 (rounded up)
- Number of Full Extensions: 4 (same as number of Outside lines)
- Number of Lite Extensions: 10 - 4 = 6
So in this case you would order 4 Full Extensions and 6 Lite Extension for your Cloud PBXact system