The SMS module can be used to send and receive text messages to and from U.S. and Canadian SMS numbers.
- This feature only works with the SIPStation Service (At this time)
- This feature requires FreePBX 12 and UCP
- This feature requires the SMS module
- SipStation service fees apply see SipStation site for prices and details.
- STANDARD DATA FEES AND TEXT MESSAGING RATES MAY APPLY BASED ON YOUR PLAN WITH YOUR MOBILE PHONE CARRIER
Enabling a User to send or receive SMS's
- Log in to the FreePBX UI
- On the top menu click Admin
- In the drop down click User Management
- In the right navigation pane click on the user you wish to edit.
- In their settings you will see SIPStation SMS DIDs, Check the box next to the desired numbers
- Click Submit at the bottom
Sending an SMS
Login to the User Control Panel
On the top right click on the colored dot.
Click New SMS
A pop-up will appear
In the From drop down there will bee a list of numbers available to this user
Choose the number you wish to send your SMS from.
In the To box put in the Destination number.
This will open a chat box. Note: this box will also appear if you receive a SMS while logged in.
You may now interact with the message as if it were any other chat.
Receiving SMS Messages
When a user sends a TXT message to a number that is assigned to you you will get a chat style box when logged in
You can then respond as any other chat conversation and the user will receive your message as a text message.
If you are Not logged in your messages will be under the SMS tab
You can click the eye icon to view the message
You can click on the number under To, to open up the chat window and respond.
You can click the trash can to delete.
Viewing SMS History
Your SMS History is available in the SMS tab.
In the SMS tab you can do see the following for each message
Date of when the last SMS was sent or received for this thread
What DID of yours the SMS thread was from
Who the message thread was to. Clicking on the To Number will bring up the SMS box to allow you to reply to the SMS.
- View (eye) the history of the message
- Delete (trash) the message