In the past, this feature was not possible as Asterisk had no ability to let a BLF button subscribe to a voicemail box and display whether there are any new voicemails.
Now, if you are using FreePBX 2.11 and the FreePBX Distro, this feature is now possible due to some features we have built into the FreePBX Distro only.
- In Settings, Advanced Settings, ensure Create Voicemail Hints is enabled, apply changes. A hint for each voicemail box will now be auto-created.
- If you log into the Asterisk CLI and issue the following command, you will see the hint for each voicemail box.
- In our example above, voicemail box 101 has a hint that you can program to a BLF button as *98101. Note that if the default feature code for Dial Voicemail has been changed from *98, the voicemail hints will use the feature code prefix as set in Admin, Feature Codes.
- Now any time voicemail box 101 has one or more new messages waiting, the light will turn on.
- Pressing the BLF button will prompt you to login with the password for voicemail box 101.
That's all that's to it. Hope you find this feature useful!